Monday, April 14, 2008

Vitamin Energy (Dragonfruit) - 8.7

I was actually rather surprised at seeing an energy drink by Glaceau piggybacking the same brand name as Vitamin Water. When a consumer thinks of Vitamin Water, they probably percieve a drink that is a healthy hydrating alternative that is low in sugar and supplemented with necessary vitamins. However, with energy drinks, a consumer probably is not thinking about making a "healthy" beverage choice. With that said, marketing an energy drink under the umbrella of Vitamin Water is nothing short of genius, giving an energy drink a healthy perception that so many others have tried, seemingly without success.

I purchased the can at $1.99, but in a 16oz can. The drink contains the normal energy components such as taurine, ribose, vitamins B and C, and contains "natural" caffeine. I haven't done any research on what makes caffeine natural, or if it even matters, but that's what the can says. Just like the Vitamin Water brand, Vitamin Energy contains "all natural" ingredients, and no artificial coloring.

Opening up the can and taking my first sip, I was pleasantly surprised. First, I had not even read the label or the ingredients before starting to drink this one, however I had really not expected it to be a carbonated drink, but it is! That is not necessarily a bad thing though, because I think I was secretly wishing that it did contain some fizz.

The dragonfruit taste was also very pleasing. It wasn't a sour taste at all like you get with a lot of energy drinks, and it wasn't an overbearing taste either. The drink seemed to go down very easily with very little harshness. It actually seemed very light tasting. Those who have drank a VItamin Water know that the water does not taste syrupy at all like sports drinks do, and Vitamin Energy did not taste syrupy either, unlike a lot of energy drinks, probably due to Glaceau's low sugar philosophy. Again, I was surprised.

With all of that said, I feel like I gave a relatively high rating due to all of Vitamin Energy's positive efforts. It is a drink that comes in a large can, packed full of "natural" caffeine and other energy supplements, tastes delicious (unlike other low sugar drinks), has a very eye pleasing can, and drinks very easily without that syrupy feeling. Points were lost due to a couple of things. The first is that I have never liked the supposed-to-be entertaining paragraphs of banter on the side of the can. They always make me ask the question "why did they write that on there?" I feel like that is a large corporation's way of trying to feel more like a friend to the consumer, which comes off a little negative to me. I also took points off because the taste and consistency may not be for everyone, which goes for any drink. Vitamin Energy is very different from the normal energy drink, and when a consumer is buying one they may expect that syrupy, sour, sugary concoction that many brands deliver. Others may not be so pleasantly surprised like I was with Vitamin Energy, however this is one that I would definitely recommend, and I plan on trying the other flavors, tropical citrus, and fruit punch.

No comments: